Thursday, September 6, 2007

News Media and me, entry 1

Last semester I actually had a 'student subscription' to the Wall Street Journal because of a recommendation from Professor Getschow. That only lasted about six weeks, so now I get my news from the radio, online websites and news programs.

Since I was working all summer and still work 25 hours a week at my internship, I read most my news online. Not usually a news site unless i'm searching for a particular story, but usually I'll read stories Yahoo features on their homepage. I also love to read the Yahoo Odd News to read about all the crazy happenings around the world. I would say I read about one hours worth online during the week.

I will also have the morning news on in the morning while eatting breakfast. This probably lasts about fifteen minutes, or about an hour a week also.

The first two examples I am intentionally seeking out but the last one, news on the radio, I usually is not. I listen to a popular radio show in the morning and they do have a small news portion.

Lastly, i'm trying to think about the news media and their coverage of race/gender/sexualities/disabilities. One example comes to mind right now. The radio morning show this morning read off one of those 'odd news' I read off of Yahoo. Well, it was about people in Nepal scraficing a goat to satisfiy the 'air god' so Nepal's airplanes would once again work. The radio DJ's acted out skits in stereotypical 'Indian' voices making fun of the Nepalions actions. Of course this radio show is intended to entertain. I think a more formal news show presents news in a more fair way. I guess I have never noticed or looked for something though

No comments: